Let your appliances keep you busy.
During the corona virus quarantine many of us are confined at home. Some of you may be working from home, and some are working on hobbies or special interests. If you want to accomplish some projects around the house, here are some maintenance items for your appliances that you might find worthwhile.
1. Change the water filter. How often should the water filter on your refrigerator be changed? If you’re like me, you probably don’t do it as often as the manufacturer recommends. I’m guessing that at least half of the refrigerators out there are about due or past due for a new water filter. Now that you’ve got the time, you’ve no excuse.
2. Clean the coils. Well, very few refrigerators have the old bed spring coils on the back, and most have self-cleaning coils near the compressor compartment. Just take this suggestion to mean that it wouldn’t hurt to sweep or vacuum around any accessible areas behind or under your refrigerator.
3. Clean the drip tray. Your refrigerator is likely to have a small plastic tray that is designed to collect any moisture from “sweating” coils. Because we have air conditioning and live in a dry climate, it is not likely to ever find moisture in this tray, buy while you’re down on the floor, it wouldn’t hurt to check.
4. Clean the inside of your refrigerator. Remove the contents and wipe down the shelves, sides, and back of the refrigerator. Remove the crisper and clean the refrigerator floor.
5. Wipe down the crispers. Moisture can collect and sit here. Check under the bottom crispers also.
6. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and clean behind the refrigerator.
1. Use the self-clean cycle. If your range is self-clean use this cycle to clean the inside of the range. Follow the manufacturer directions. Most brands require that you remove the racks.
2. Clean the racks. Depending on how often you use your oven and what you cook, racks can get dirty. I like to spread out some newspaper, scrub them with hot water and detergent. and leave them out to dry.
3. Remove the lower drawer if you have one. Clean inside, and sweep floor before replacing drawer.
Range hood or over the range microwave
1. Clean the microwave interior. Clean with wet cloth. If the microwave has a carousel, remove and clean thoroughly.
2. Clean the vent filter. Locate filter under microwave or hood.
1. Remove and clean the filter. Different brands have different locations for filters.
2. Remove and clean the filter basket. Some dishwasher have filter baskets in a sump under the lower spray arm. These baskets will collect items that are too large to go through the filter.
3. Remove and clean the racks and silverware baskets. If you have hard water these the racks can get covered with grime.
4. Check the spray arms and make sure all ports are clear.
1. Clean behind the washer.
2. Remove and clean under the agitator (if you have an agitator). Keep any spare change.
1. Clean behind the dryer.
2. Clean the dryer lint filter.
3. Clean the dryer duct (lint gathers there).
These are just a few tips to keep busy during the quarantine by caring for your appliances. Stay home and stay safe! For all your major appliance, flooring, window treatment needs, contact us: